Friday, December 16, 2011

What is excessive mileage on a motorcycle?

I know that most cars will comfortably do 100,000 miles without much hassle, and if treated right can do in excess of 200,000.





At what stage would a motorcycle be nearing the end of its life cycle, requiring parts to be replaced etc?


I'm thinking about buying a second hand Suzuki Bandit 650cc as my first bike but I haven't a clue how many miles a well kept motorcycle can handle.





For example what would the equivalent of 23,000 miles on a 650cc bike be in car miles?





Thanks|||As stated above, it depends on how you've kept it. I've seen bikes which are dying at 30'000, and bikes with well over 100'000. If the person never or very rarely services it, it will die sooner.





If they are religious with keeping it serviced, it'll outlast most everything else. :-D|||I have a second hand 2000 Honda motorcycle. Have about 17000 miles on it and it still run just fine. So I think it's really depend on how well it was kept.|||23,000 bike miles equals about 120,000 car miles.This is just my opinion.|||I've seen a Ninja 500 on Craigslist with 80K miles on it! Astounding. But remember, that's "well kept."





You can make a motorcycle last forever if you keep repairing it and replacing worn out parts (just ask the Harley owners -- those motorcycles keep going and going).





Anyways, police departments around here retire their motorcycles at 70K miles. Your smaller higher revving Bandit will probably be ready to be replaced somewhat before then.





Edit: Sarah, make sure you take the Motorcycle Safety Foundation course before riding this Bandit as your first motorcycle. It's a bit more powerful and heavy than something I'd recommend for a first time rider.|||I recently sold a 1983 honda V twin 750 that had 33000 miles on it it ran perfectly, the engine didn't consume, or leak, oil either. I kinda' regret selling it.

No comments:

Post a Comment