Saturday, December 24, 2011

First Bike... Sort of?

Hey I am a 19 year old guy lookin for a first motorcycle. I may have finally convinced my dad to let me get one. I know a decent ammount about bikes but like gettin other opinions. I am also on a pretty tight budget since I am in college. I honestly don't care what kind of bike I get. I definatley want it used, because it needs to be cheap. I am considering sport bikes, cruisers, or naked bikes (spot touring). I am 6' 3" and right around 200 lbs. I have thought hard about a sportster 883, but have been told I would dwarf the bike, and that it has no get up. I want something that will accelerate pretty quick, with a decent top speed. I am not going to be going around poppin wheelies and trying to kill myself like most guys my age, but it is nice to crack the throttle every once and a while. I have also looked at gsxr 750 bandit 1200's sportster 1200s. I really don't care... I just need it cheap, and with decent get-up-and-go. also where should i look, I have been hittin up craigslist?|||Off experience is great, trust me as a 10 years + rider, it will come in handy. Now I gotta break the bad news to you, starting off with something in that list you have there is a good way to move on to the after life. Though I'd never suggest that frickin' Rebel to anyone, especially a 200 pound dude that needs some power to get out of those inevitable lousy situations that will happen, you're best bet is something in the 600's while you're in college. You can always get that dream bike after you get that dream job, but first you gotta gain the road skills to handle it well. Like I said, off road experience is a great start but how many times in those woods or fields were you moving along with say a 40-ton semi heading at you, or perhaps some bozo with one hand on the phone and the other flying around the air? I won't start preaching the I had this and that happen crap, scare you off the road is all that would do; ain't gonna preach helmets and MSF courses cause I'm sure you know where your are on that, but ask yourself where you want to be in 10 years .. moving down the road on your dream bike of than, or perhaps not moving so much no more.


Take your pick....


Ride Hard, Die Free


or


Live to Ride, Ride to Live!


Later dude, see ya' on the road some day!|||I would say if you get a Harley go 1200, if you like the crotch rocket get at least a 900. Dont go smaller just because it's your first bike or you WILL regret it later. Especially if your 6'3"|||I love my 2002 shadow ace 750cc, bought it last year for 3300. great for around town or down the highway. Harleys are great, but overpriced, add some loud pipes to a shadow and you can get the sound w/o spending the bucks. a nurse that i work with that owns a 12000 dollar harley says it best, it isnt what you ride it is that you ride.|||"""" SPEED IS POINTLESS WITHOUT CONTROL """"|||Take a look at a 1200 sporty but there are a lot of good used bikes around at least the sporty will hold its value for a trade in or upgrade not always the case with a lot of them

No comments:

Post a Comment