Tuesday, December 20, 2011

First Road Bike (Sport Bike)?

Hi,





I'm looking at buying a road bike. I'm 20 and will be 21 in 2 months time. I've ridden and still do ride motocross bikes. KTM, Trials Betas, pit bikes for fun etc. So I have the basic clutch control, changing gear, hill starts, balance etc. But now is an ideal time to buy a road bike as people are selling for winter. My dad owns bikes, KTM 450 EXC, Honda CBR1000RR Fireblade, Yamaha RD400 and we have 2 110 pit bikes for the fields. If the damn insurance companies would let me i'd have a CBR600RR. Just because we have always be a Honda family, it's in our blood. But unfortuanly Honda do not offer me anything between tuned up 600RR "blow your face off" and CBR250 "couldn't shift skin off a rice pudding". I love the sport bikes, stuff like the ducati monster and suzuki bandit do not appeal to me. I want to look like i'm doing 1million mph when i'm sat at the traffic lights.





I've been looking at SV650, but they are very common and becoming out dated. The 2011 CBR600F also looks nice but I don't think I could afford one from new.





Biggest issue is insurance. Even though the Suzuki is a 650 and the Honda a 600 I think it's because it's tuned red hot that there is an issue.





Any suggestions?





Thanks Alot.





Adam|||Bad news, Adam: It's time to grow up. "Looking like 1,000,000 mph standing still" is kid stuff. Forget the looks, nobody's watching. Ride for riding's sake, not to impress buddies, girls, total strangers, cops, stray dogs.


You've obviously got lots of off-road experience, but you're going to be a newbie on the street, like it or not. Use insurance costs as a GUIDE. These costs are calculated based on the track record of people of your own age on different types of bikes. They are based on TONS of data. So, if the insurance cost is high on a certain bike, it means that YOU are a POOR risk on that type of bike.


The SV is actually a great bike with incredible versatility--for both beginners and seasoned riders. I have spent two days at a track school on race-prepped SVs, and I learned more than I would have while trying to avoid high-siding my Buell 1125R in the turns. A friend of mine, with 3 decades of riding experience, put his SV in the back of his pickup, drove to Texas in March, rode all 48 contiguous states, as well as British Columbia and Alberta, returned to Texas (in October), and trucked it back to Canada again. Sure, he could have taken his Triumph 675 (or one of several other bikes he has), but he really enjoyed the entire experience, and the SV never missed a beat.|||That little 'r' says it all as for the insurance.





I suggest you shop around looking at ALL the makes and models, nothing against Honda but....?!?





If the Triumph Daytona seems reasonable to you I think you would be a happy camper.





Another bike to look at may be the BMW F800 series.|||Scratch the Honda (which I respect) but get a Kawasaki zx6rr, fast and very reliable, Im 18 and my insurance for it is only $20.00 a month, $200 for the whole year. What ever you get ride hard!|||honda|||I'm a ninja person :/|||i got a bmw f800s insurance is good cause of abs and electric steering damper, this was last year when i turned 19. so basically the more safty feature you have on the bike the cheaper the insurance. i was gonna get the cbr 600 too but insurance was crazy. another thing is once u get a 600 you will want something faster i have the 800 and i wish i got the cbr 1000 so basically weigh your options. more speed = more money on insurance. less speed = the chance that you will want a whole new bike in a year or so

No comments:

Post a Comment