Saturday, December 24, 2011

Suzuki Bandit 400 starting issues, I NEED A PRO!?

Hello folks bought this 92 suzuki bandit as a start up from my learners and I've had nothing but trouble. I'm mechanically inclined so you can get technical on me. I bought the bike and it was running ok but would stall and seemed to have a rough idle and surge a bit. I knew it was the carbs so I took them to a reputable garage and had them cleaned and balanced, new iridium plugs, new oil, new prestone, new air filter, new petcock. It started first shot and idled well and ran like a new bike. It was like that for a few days and now it seems when ever I leave it for more than 3 days without riding it it won't start! It turns over but won't catch except for sometimes when I mess with it for a long time (short busts of 15 seconds, putting choke on and off etc.) I was told that the gas where I am living is absolute crap and to drain the floats if I leave it for a week which I have tried but to no avail. I pulled out the plugs and they were dry but a little bit black, cleaned them off too. I have 750 coil packs because the 400 ones are known for being weak. If I use bigger coils could it just be I need a stronger battery? It does turn over quite quick though. Please help it's a lovely bike but I'm running out of patience and might swap it for a little fxr 150 if this keeps up. The 600$ carb job really hurt and all I really want it to do is start when I go out in the morning so I can take it to Uni.|||dude you got screwed 600.00 for a carb job you could bought new ones cheaper!!! for that kind of money i would bring it back to the carb guy, and don't put out any more large amounts of cash like that again.|||Fuel tap.





If you leave it in the "On" position for a few days, the fuel will leak into the carbs and flood them, hence like no spark to start.





If you switch it to off after parking, then back to on when you want to go, it should be absolutely fine.





If you have left it on, and need to start it,


switch fuel tap to off, choke off, No throttle, and short bursts of 10second starting. the fuel that has seeped into the carbs will run through the system, when it fires, you can put fuel to on or reserve and you might need to re-start with the choke.|||are u running gasoline that contains ethanol?? because if u are that is most likely the problem it eats teh seals in small engines horribly.....has made boat shops small engine repair and motorcycle repair shops tons of money since it came onto the market....





isn't great for cars either in that department but they have big enough fuel system to overcome the issue and fuel injected seals are made with better gaskets that are not eaten by the ethanol....... i know of a boat shop that rebuild a carb 4 times at $500 per b4 they told the owner of the boat to stop using ethanol gas......





most gas stations now have 10 prct ethanol and those that don't cost more.........also Stabil now makes a new product to counteract this but it runs 2-3 times what there normal stabil does......





so either buy the blue stabil....or buy gas from a station that does not have ethanol in the gas and see if that helps....

No comments:

Post a Comment